“Perfection is not attainable, but if we chase perfection we can catch excellence.” ~ Vince Lombardi
To change the culture of any company takes leadership, vision, patience, and time. To create a Lean company each of the leaders and employees must integrate Lean into the existing culture, changing what doesn’t fit and adapting what does. Contractors that are serious about implementing and maintaining Lean will develop their own answers to the following questions. These answers will help change the culture:
- Who will lead your Lean efforts?
- How will you educate everyone?
- How will you measure success?
- What company systems and processes need to change to support Lean?
- How will you sustain your efforts?
- How will you communicate these efforts?
Management Actions to Implement Lean
Give people time to make change and drive action.
- Give employees ways to suggest improvements
- Implement Monthly Review/Audit.
- Communicate – 5 min 5S news/Lean boards.
- Train New Employees.
- Recognize Progress and Celebrate Wins!
- Be accountable to Senior Management.
One key part of all successful Lean implementations is having a Lean Champion. Who is your Lean Champion? It can be the owner, CEO, president, a senior or project manager, or anyone willing to try, and given the opportunity – IT CAN BE YOU!